Wednesday 21 March 2007

Forest Canopy

Yarn: Jojoland Melody (4ply/fingering wt) Col Y16 – Green Violet

Needles: 4.5mm




This is a little bit retrospective as I finished this yesterday, but it still needs blocking yet!!!


Despite this being my maiden voyage into blogging, it's not my first introduction to lace knitting. It is however, my first attempt at a shawl that isn’t rectangular so I shall see how I get on with the increases outweighing the decreases. I am so used to being able to check that I have the same number of sts on as I started with that I must admit I am a little concerned with all these growing number of sts… will I be able to cope with them all? and will I have the staying power?

The photo shows the shawl after 3 repeats, growing quickly which is nice but I am constantly thinking it will slow down as I get more sts on the needles and how long will it take me to do a repeat when I get more sts on (this is what I did as a child which is what put me off knitting back then, constantly trying to work out how long something would take me!!!!) I have to remind myself this isn’t a race and so what if it takes me an hour or more to do a pattern repeat, just enjoy the rhythm of the knitting, watching the emerging pattern and take delight in the fact that I am getting the pattern right!!!

I love the yarn and the colours, it is a little rougher than I thought it would be but still it’s nice to knit with and think will make a nice shawl for my friend’s birthday. The only thing I am reserving judgment on at the moment is the striping. It has long runs of colour which is good but it is making definite stripes which concerns me that it may mask the pattern somewhat….


No comments: